Jai Satchitanand Friends!
Do you feel that your parents nag you or do not understand you? Do you feel that they are constantly scolding or reproaching you? Do you get angry and retort back to them?
Have you ever thought what value you would place on your parents? Can you ever replace them?
We all have great obligations to our parents as-
• They have brought us into this world and nurtured us .
• They have fulfilled all our wants and necessities.
• They have fed us and paid for our education and all our necessities . Yet, in return, they don’t ask us to cook our own dinner.
Our duties towards our parents-
1) We must never see faults in our parents- If we see faults in our parents, we will never be happy. We must never forget what they have done for us. We never forget someone's kindness even when they offer us a cold drink on a hot day, so how can we forget the kindness of our parents? If they say something disagreeable to us, we should overlook it. They are our elders. Don't they deserve our respect? Don’t they try to keep us happy? All that parents’ desire is the happiness of their child.
2) Looking after our elderly parents is the highest religion- What is the duty of today's youth? It should be to take care of their elders. Looking after our parents whole heartedly is counted as true service (seva). Dadaji says that immediate earnings are received as a result of serving one’s parents. God is not visible but we can see our parents - so let's serve our parents.
God resides in a home where there are no conflicts and that’s why we should conduct ourselves in such a way that everyone at home is happy. We should try our best to think of their happiness.
So friends, if there were ever a time that we had done anything painful to our parents, for all those faults we should do Pratikraman. Along with that, we should try to ask for strength never to hurt them and to be helpful to them without any negative feelings.
Videos- Issues with parents
Magazines- Obligations of parents
Life incidents of Dadashri- Values inspired by mother